Cephalopod Videos

Octopus - Science Friday interviews @mucktopus with a combination of clips from her octopus videos

Published on Jun 19, 2015
http://www.sciencefriday.com

This video is part of Science Friday's #CephalopodWeek 2015! Join the cephaloparty starting Friday, June 19th.http://cephalopodweek.tumblr.com

Crawling, swimming, squeezing, jetting—the range of movement available to an octopus is impressive. Yet some species occasionally choose to stand up on two arms and "run" backwards. Chrissy Huffard, a Senior Researcher at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, explains the pros and cons of this seemingly silly behavior and why an octopus might find looking foolish useful.

Hi Friends!
We (The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum) are wanting to put a TV in our cephalopod exhibit with some ceph footage. I was wondering if anyone has any high quality footage of cool behavior or camo that you would be willing to let the museum use for this exhibit. It has to be something you have the rights to.
Thanks!

@beccalopod, If you can use any of my videos (YouTube user D Whatley are all my personal videos), you are welcomed to them but please include a DWhatley and TONMO credit somewhere in the presentation. I can drop box the original for somewhat better quality but they can be downloaded from YouTube directly. Currently most are all for public viewing but, I can make them unpublished so that only people (TONMO posts) with direct links can view them on YouTube if that is desired.

Here are a few that show some of the public entertainment behaviors you might be trying to find:

O. bimaculoides (Diego) disassembling lego blocks for food:
O.bimaculoides (Diego) taking crab from double shot glass:
O. briareus (Onn) taking shrimp from hand:
O.unknown Caribbean (Monty) coming to be petted:
O. briareus (SueNami) catching live shrimp:
O. hummelincki (Maya) defending eggs from starfish (first part in poor focus): Maya - Octopus Hummelincki Post Brood, Defends Her Empty Den
O.briareus (Suenami) doing the funny arm thing: SueNami - Octopus Briareus Grooming Behavior Initiated by Stress
O.hummelincki (Maya) planting a gorgonian in front of her den: Maya - Octopus Hummelincki Rearranges Gorgonian
O.briareus (Mama Cass) Web display and passing cloud color change: Mama Cass - Octopus Briareus Great Web Display and Passing Cloud
O.briareus (Mama Cass) Tending eggs: Mama Cass - Octopus Briareus Tending Eggs
O.briareus (hatchlings) Octopus hatchlings in red light: Kooah - Octopus Briareus Hatchlings Day 4
O.briareus (Mama Cass & Tatanka) mating (needs a lot of editing to be useful due to panicky keepers): Mama Cass and Tatanka - Octopus Briareus Aquarium Mating

SQUID - How Do Squid Make Huge Egg Masses? @Danna explains

Published on Jul 30, 2015

Spurred by this beautiful video everyone's talking about:
Art, editing, narration, and regrettably poor video quality by Danna Staaf.
Although I gave them short shrift here, I've previously expounded on the mysteries of male squid and their sperm packages:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back