• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thinking about an octo again

Eclipse

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ok so I was on here months ago trying to decide what I wanted to convert my new 75G tank into and I eventually made it a reef tank (coming along very well, no problems at all yet). At the time I also had a 150 Preditor tank and a 29G species tank for a peacock mantis shrimp.

Two weeks ago my mantis died (had him for a little over a year) while trying to molt, I noticed he was stressed out so I regularly dosed the tank with iodine that he needed to help him along, it just stretched his life a little longer.

Anyways I have completely emptied the tank out, and am in the process of getting it started back up and started thinking about a smaller octo to put in the tank once I revamped it a little. It is a 29G biocube with PC bulbs on it. I am thinking about taking the top off completely and putting screen over the top so there is a nice airflow yet still being proofed so the octo cannot escape.

I have read the other two threads that were recently started about a 29G tank and no one asked the questions that I had :P . I already know how and where I will get my food supply. I have a 150 preditor tank with some very very messy eaters so i'm confident I can handle a large bioload. So I guess my question is, without taking the bioload into consideration would it be possible to keep a hummelincki (sp?) in a 29 with minimal LR (already have a plan for a nice rock setup). If not then is there anything that is likely to be active during the day atleast somewhat, this tank will be close to the front door and people will see it often, would be great to actually show them something when they look lol.

I appreciate any comments/concerns anyone has.

P.S. This tank is already on hand and I saly cannot upgrade it because I am running out of room since I already have a 150 and 75g tank around the house.

IMO, NO. 'Tane's tank is too small at 37 gallons (it was believed to be larger when he was put in the tank). The two foot height is good but the 30" width is too short for him to swim and I believe your cube would be even shorter. They may be slightly smaller than some of the others in total length (he can reach about 18" with one arm - bottom to top of tank - when he wants to) but they (or at least mine) are more active swimmers. If 'Tane stays with me long enough I am in the process of transferring an established tank to a new (for me) 48" long 50 gallon (and converting the cycled 37 into a sump). The process will likely take a month and 'Tane is an adult but I am hoping he will get to enjoy the new tank.

I may be going in the wrong direction but what about a Aculeatus? I am no too familiar with the different sizes of octo sadly so it is hard for me to judge on my own. Is there anything other than a dwarf octo that I could put in a 29?

The reason this species came to mind is, I was looking over Mikewise's journal of his new octo and the mantle appeared for be between 2-3 inches, which in my eyes makes me think it would be able to happily be maintained in my 29G. Obviously I am far from an expert and this is why i'm asking you guys. I'm hoping I get a possitive response because I have really wanted an octo for a while now, but I cannot make room for a new tank and I really want one that I can interact with on a regular basis.

As much as you dont want to hear this, you probably wont get an octo that will interact with you much and be happy in a 29 gallon, what about a bandensis cuttle, one would fit in that tank and would do fine with limited live rock if you have good filtration

I have also considered a cuttle in the past, but I think getting food for them might be too much trouble. With the octo I could have fed them full sized fidlers that I catch once a week when I go fishing anyways, and the bait show in that same area I could pick up plenty of shore shrimp. Sadly I believe both the fidlers and shore shrimp will be too big for cuddles. He doesn't have any small shore shrimp and they are about 3 inches long, and the fidlers I catch are about 2 inches wide....pretty large fidlers imo.

Does anyone know what kind of octos are sold as food at Korean restaurants? These Korean restaurants sell octos that these people wrap them around chopsticks, dip them in hot sauce, and stick in their mouths alive. :mad:They happily chomp away as the octo squirms. :cry: I was thinking that instead of buying an octo from reef scavengers or diver dave I may "rescue" one from being eaten alive.

I think someone posted a few months ago that CSI or one of those crime shows had an episode where someone died eating a blue-ring like that. Just desserts, sez me!

I'm not sure how long an octo could survive whole in acidic conditions, but I've never been clear on why there aren't horrible beak-bite related ulcers and such involved in this style of dining.

Yes, can you beleive that !! :sad:There are actually several about 30 min from my home. There is a very large Korean population in Annandale near where I live. This is a tradition. I spoke with my ESL Korean students and they described the experience to me. They are americanized enough to not be attracted to the "food" but they had eaten live octo before. They said a waitress places several on a plate. Then they usually serve them with some sort of hot sauce and a cabbage dish. They puncture the mantle and wrap the body and the tenticles around the stick. Then then stuff it into their mouths while the octos struggle. :yuck: They are small octos and they look white (not sure if that is because they are terrified). I thought I might save them. Could you all give me an idea about what to do to try to sustain an unknown octo in my tank? Any idea about what species it might be. I will not be able to get to a restaurant this weekend or next but as soon as I can I will discretly take a pic so you all can help me ID one. Any advice until then?

There's at least one thread around linking to a YouTube video of this, it's pretty awful looking to ceph-sympathizers, but you could see if they seem to be the same species. I don't remember anyone IDing the species from the vid, though... it's probably more helpful to find out where they're caught.

As for care, a cycled, octoproofed tank of the appropriate size seems sensible, temp will depend on species, and size they'll grow to is also species-related... although I'd expect that for most fishing methods, they're more likely to get adults than juveniles.

As sad as it is, though, as far as rewarding octo-keeping experiences, it may be shooting yourself in the foot to rescue food octos, since they probably haven't been cared for with their long-term survival in mind, so they're likely to be less healthy than those sold as pets. Still, I understand the urge to save them, and I think it's great that you're interested in trying...

How about contacting your local humane society?? There has to be some kind of law or something against this. That just doesn't seem right especially when you tell me they are scared white!!:cry:

Poor little guys...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back