O. Briareus [Olaf]

Green_Tree

O. vulgaris
Registered
I got my new Briareus from Tom's Caribbean today. It started off touch and go but he seems to be doing well now. Guess one thing to take away from my experience is that even if the octopus looks dead, if it still has some color, warm it up. It doesn't hurt you to warm it up and who knows, it might magically come back to life like mine did.

This is what he looked like when i first got him.
Show.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

Anywho he seems to be doing well and is busy hiding in my tank right now.

Pictures of my tank set-up and of him if i see him will follow in the near future.

Well, things seem to be doing well. Olaf made an appearance today when i fed my tank. Seems to be doing well and has made a den under one of the rocks by clearing out the volcanic sand i have in my tank. Overall he seems to be doing well. Ill try to get a picture soon.

I dont have a lot in the tank, but at the moment i have 2 starfish, a yellow tang, a diamond goby and several snail. I realize that some of these may be eaten but they are what I used to cycle and stabilize the tank.

Green_Tree;167519 said:
I dont have a lot in the tank, but at the moment i have 2 starfish, a yellow tang, a diamond goby and several snail. I realize that some of these may be eaten but they are what I used to cycle and stabilize the tank.

You should never use living animals to cycle a tank.

I apologize i should clarify something. I actually cycled the tank with just live rock for several weeks. The animal i have put in since were put in after My father (who has over 17 years of salt water experience) and myself were satisfied that it had cycled. They were not used to cycle the tank but I had them in there to test the system out and make sure that it was running smoothly and stably.

As far as the fish go... you might think about removing them. Not only do they risk getting eaten but there is also the risk of them being a pest to your octopus. If you read the thread about Augustus and El Diablo towards the end of the thread before he died they both got picked on by the fish. The one with El Diablo got put in a different tank; the one with Augustus got put in a shark tank. It made the mistake of picking on the shark and met his end shortly there after. Fish eat octopuses and though many of us (at one time or another) simply assumed that our octopuses could handle the fish, the truth is fish can also stress the octo's to the point that they don’t come out (I have also read that O. briareus particularly can die from stress-though I am not 100% on this, I had read something Nancy wrote about not wanting to move hers because of the risk) and can even pick at their eyes to where they go blind. It’s pretty horrible to watch.

No one is going to jump on you about this but we do strongly recommend against it for the safety of all animals as well as for you and your heart. Losing an octo friend because of your own mistake be it fish, or not testing properly, or any other reason is really hard to take... (many of us have been in this spot, myself included, and its painful)

As unfortunate a case as it may be, it may not be an issue. When I was just getting glimpses of him he looked well. But after arriving home from school today im not sure. This is the third day in the tank and he is sitting on the wall.. did not even react that i saw when i walked in.

This is the sight that greeted me as i walked through my door.
PICT0158.jpg
PICT0157.jpg
PICT0156.jpg

At this point my hopes are not high. If anyone has any suggestions at all i would gladly take them.

Unfortunately, I agree with your observation. The fact that he is in front of the return makes me think the ink may have coated his gills. Making sure you have lots of air exchange is all I can suggest but I am not optimistic.

When Isis escaped she looked kinda like that for a bit... I turned off the lights and covered the tank with a blanket to ease her stress... It helped a lot I think. You might try it. As far as O2 in the water, if you dont have one some of us use airstones in our sumps to help with the gases... D could better explain how it all works though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back