• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filtration

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any creative ideas out there for a filter that could be placed on the end of a siphon so that the water can be directly circulated back into the tank. Trying to save as much water as possible and I have made a make shift filter with filter floss in a mesh 'cup' but cleaning the floss after the siphoning is proving difficult.

I am sure there are some good ideas out there.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,
What I do with all my sumped tanks now is to buy a standard 7" filter sock (forget the 4"), use pvc pipe and elbows to make a holder and drop a mesh bag of charcoal in the sock. I clean the socks weekly and swap bags of charcoal (renewing about every two months - meaning each bag is used for about a month but rinsed weekly). I have let them go as long as two weeks on occassion with out problems for 65 gallonish tanks. It is simple, rather easy to maintain (we use pipe glue to attach the 90 deg elbows, they come apart too easily if they are not glued. For easily accessed sumps this is not much of a problem but some of mine are a pain to reach) and does a good job. The filter socks can be cloroxed and I soak mine between uses, rinse and declor them each week (I alternate socks as well so that I don't have to clean them immediately).

Attachments

• conv_297358.jpg
    conv_297358.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 112
  • conv_297359.jpg
    conv_297359.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 123
Filter socks with a poly ring mouths:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1485/Filter-Bags-With-Poly-Ring-Mouth/filter socks/0

Pick a micron size you like, but its not all that important because as the bag clogs you filter smaller particles.

And the filter bag adapter:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1489/Filter-Bag-Adapter/fbh/0

The filter bag adapter has a threaded opening that can be fitted with a barbed fitting the size of the siphon tubing you are using. Drop in the sump and easy peasy water saving vacuum bag.

Thales points the same sock but these are 4" size that I have abandoned because the clog so quickly. I have never found "official" hangers for the 7" but the PVC pipe is actually easier to dislodge and replace than the official brackets.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back