• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus 3 journal

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
In my attempt to not get another specimen of wunderpus, I have ended up with an other wunderpus. :smile: Its actually ceph crazy town at my place because I have a metasepia, two other occys that I haven't ID yet, baby bandensis, and what appears to be S. latimanus eggs. Crazy town.

Here is the original thread:
"Zebra Mimic Octopus"

Someone had one, couldn't keep it anymore, and we worked out a deal for me to take it.

Ethical considerations for these animals have been discussed here:
Zebra Octopus For Sale In The Bay Area (a good thing?)
And I don't generally recommend keeping this species. Like I said, I wouldn't have taken this one or the last one, Medusa, except for odd circumstances. I am humbled that I continue to be in a position to accept these animals and that people think of me when they come up.

This is a small male wunderpus, that acclimated well this morning and ate a frozen bait shrimp this evening. I handed it to him via tweezers and he ate it up.

He is in a 30 gallon long, plumbed into the larger ceph system (approx 200 gallons) with a mix of substrates that seemed to encourage burrowing with other wunderpus - Carib Sea mineral mud and some fiji mud. No burrowing yet.

I will try to keep up on this journal, at least in writing, and I expect it to be very similar to the my original wunderpus journal ( Wonderpus ). I am kinda busy these days so pics and video may be in short supply. I have already taken photos of the mantle for wunderpix ( Wunderpix ).

This male is much smaller than Fontanelle, the mantle being only about an inch.

Some pics soon, any name suggestions?

Here is the pic.

Also, I just remembered something. Keeping a journal on the TONMO exotics forum means I won't be able to refer colleagues and friends to view it because it is a members only forum. I know its a small thing to ask people to register, but it does seem to limit access to the information because it is yet another hurdle people have to cope with, and many simply wont. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I may move all this the postings to my site to avoid doing double work, or to some blog, so that I can refer people to it. If that happens I would be happy to discuss it here. :biggrin2:

hey guys...before I gave Octo to thales I have taken some pics of him...here they are:
DSC_0006-3.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

hope you guys like it...I kept him in a 10gal tank and hence I wasn't able to see him in his "complete self"

Thank you, pool2004 and Thales! I agree that it would be a ton of work for you to have to double journal, Thales. As long as we can all follow along, I don't think it's too much for Tonmo folks to keep track of your success on some other forum.

Too bad "Jack" is already taken!

Some pics soon, any name suggestions?
ossie? (short for ossification)

What happened to, "all octos should be named Fontanelle" ?:tongue: Although I think this little guy might be extra special as his health seems vibrant from the photos.

Would you mind posting a notice here when you update the outside journal if you choose to keep one?

His mantle is about 1 inch, from arm tip to arm tip only about a foot.

D, I will post if I move this journal. I don't know if I will because I don't know if I have time to set something else up. :biggrin2:

They should all be named Fontanelle, but people get confused!

This animal seems to be doing well. The second morning he was digging in the fiji mud, but never went completely in the burrow. He is spending a lot of time against the glass on the side of the tank sometimes in the 'fishing' pose (arms dangling to the substrate assumedly waiting for food to come by). When I let him catch live shrimp he does the umbrella 'pounce' where he extends the webbing of his arms to make a trap for the shrimp. Pretty interesting that he has been in a tank for several months and is still doing that behavior. Maybe a small octo thing - less risk to the arms? I'll took some pics and will try to get some video.

Ah. He was in his den this morning. About 3 inches of Walt Smiths Fiji mud covered in about 1 inch of Carib Sea mineral mud. This is where Medusa dug as well.

Nice one. How about "ketiga" meaning "third" in Indonesian?

Also- have you tried submitting them to Wunderpix yet? I think we're not getting some of the emails...

do you have a video

Do you have a video of your wunderpus? that be cool just to see how he interacts in his aquarium habitat and a great learning tool for as.

Lance
:sun:

excellent. If you can post them then L and R side shots as well as the head from the front. These shots are probably very useful but we weren't able to use them in the original paper. All's well over here. Not sure when I'm going to make it to Lembeh next...need to find muck in Raja Ampat...

I'll do my best Crissy. This week is nuts - we are out of Howard one way or another.

This Wunderpus seems less passive that previous animals. He seems to actually see his food and react to it, and has favored the umbrella pounce every time he has eaten for me save one on the first night when I put a dead shrimp directly onto his arms to be sure he ate. Maybe this one is younger...maybe because it has been getting only live food...

DSC04262_pounce1.jpg

DSC04263_pounce2.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back