• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

"Zebra Mimic Octopus"

pool2004

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hey guys,
I just heard about this forum. I have had octos for a very long time now, mostly bimacs...2 months ago, I got a Zebra Mimic Octopus! I have NEVER seen this in my 3 years of experience of octos...Here are his pictures:
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

BUT the sad part is that I have to sell him away! :frown: lost my job and am pretty much bankrupt!

Hi and welcome to the site.

First of all, sorry you lost your job and need to find a new home for your wunderpus.

You've posted some nice pics of your wunderpus, and I understand you're an experienced keeper. However, we at TONMO.com discourage anyone purchasing a wunderpus because it encourages further collection, and this is not a commonly found cephalopod. It is possibly threatened. We ask people to choose a more common octopus for keeping, and these are available, as you see from our Journals and Photos forum. You've kept other octopuses - which ones?

Since you've already purchased from the LFS at a high price, the damage is done. Perhaps you could find an experienced ceph keeper to take the mimic at little or no charge, and sell the equipment.

Also, we are limiting discussion of such species as Wunderpus to this Exotics forum, which is open only to Tonmo members, and not lurkers.

Anyone interested in this species should do a search on TONMO or check out www.wunderpus.net (which has lots of links to TONMO).

Nancy

Pool2004,

I did not mean to lash out, but rather, I spend a lot of time trying to protect wildlife species, and I hate seeing rare animals bartered about in singles...hey, if someone with the means (Thales is a good example) can get a group together and breed them, that is great !
I too am out of work, and with a wife that is just barely out of college, money is tight here too, and I do sympathize.

Greg

Thales;131747 said:
Did you get my pm?

cthulhu77;131750 said:
Pool2004,

I have replied...

I did not mean to lash out, but rather, I spend a lot of time trying to protect wildlife species, and I hate seeing rare animals bartered about in singles...hey, if someone with the means (Thales is a good example) can get a group together and breed them, that is great !
I too am out of work, and with a wife that is just barely out of college, money is tight here too, and I do sympathize.

Greg

I agree what you are saying greg. I am completely on your side on this issue. The thing is that I didn't know much about the rarity and the endangerment of the octo I have. I didn't want the cheph to end up at a place where he is not supposed to go to. Hence, I bought him. I am more than happy to sell it to thales if he is up for it.

I did send you my phone number...we can talk about him..I am willing to go down a little lower in price too...since you are an experienced aquarist... please do call me back...

Thank you for your considerate, and kind, reply. I agree, it would be best placed with a keeper who may be able to reproduce this absolutely fascinating animal species !

I am sorry about the financial rut you are in, if it is of any use, I am in the same one. If it wasn't for my wife making some bucks, I'd be in a tent somewhere in Mexico. (not that that's bad!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back