• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thinking of getting dwarf cuttlefish.....

Hello! Here in Singapore, we occasionally get shipments of these wonderful creatures. I know a place that can order dwarf cuttlefish, but, they either come in pairs or as eggs. Since the pairs are usually 3-4 months old, I am thinking of getting one pair. I have done some research, and I am thinking of buying a Red Sea Max 130D and then mounting a Tunze 9004 skimmer on the side. Would this be fine for the pair? Or should I ask if I can get just one cuttle. Any suggestions are valued. I have been told that the setup would be fine by members of sgreefclub, but would like another opinion on this. Thanks.

I think I would avoid a cube shape as well as I think they need greater tank length. My 4 (6 months old) are in a 40 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. They are in the smaller range for the species but use the entire 3' (1 meter) length of the aquarium. I had originally planned to put them in a larger tank (a 60 gallon with 35 gallon sump is still available if needed) but with the tank width and quantity of live rock they seem to be fine in this one (no butt burn and no aggression other than display). When they were sexually mature, I did see a few tag marks for about 2 weeks but this ended after they started laying eggs. The eggs have been fertile but I have not been successful in keeping any of the hatchlings alive so far but I don't think that relates to the tank size.

60 gallons (250 liters) and 3' (960 mm) length would seem ideal for 3-4 bandensis judging from my own tank but my crew seem to be on the smaller side. I highly recommend plenty of live rock cave work to provide separation as I suspect this has helped mine avoid (so far) butt burn and aggression. I also think the black back may be positive in this respect but this is ONLY conjecture.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back