Tentacles - Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBARI) Exhibit

Halloween E-Cards from the Tentacles Exhibit

tumblr_mby4yw6h8l1qm9k25o8_r1_400.jpg

Monterey Bay Aquarium

I asked @Bret Grasse MBA if we could have a few TONMO exclusives of some of their work on the Tentacles exhibit and he sent along these great images :biggrin2: (sorry a bit late getting them up Bret the week before Xmas was a bit hectic and I just now realized I had not posted them yet).

Latimanus striking; This is an adolescent but currently we have a HUGE one on display
12-236.jpg

Wunderpus dancing (D - not much need for a title on this one :wink: )
RW14-049.jpg

Transporting a Histioteuthis (cockeye squid) on an ROV research vessel
02-_MG_4782.jpg

Bigfin reef squid juvenile
12-304.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the pictures. I know they don't allow flash but not sure if you can take pictures without. If they allow no flash photography, be sure to take a tripod as the lighting is kept low (as reported by others -- I have not been :cry: ).

The Impossibly Colorful Flamboyant Cuttlefish

Published on Apr 16, 2015
This small but feisty flamboyant cuttlefish is unlike the rest, walking along the seafloor on arms and fins--and standing its ground when threatened. Flashing its hypnotic color scheme and pulsing its fins, this little cuttlefish can scare away the hungriest of predators. See this master camouflager in our Tentacles special exhibition!

Business Journal Article about the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It does not directly attribute Tentacles to this fact but we kind feel it should :biggrin2:
The facility accommodated 2,066,177 guests last year. That's a bump up from the 1.8 million who visited in 2013, when the aquarium added $263 million to Monterey County's economy.

Image 18 shows @@Bret Grasse MBA chauffeuring a cuttlefish to a new tank to give it a change of scenery.
Cephs spotted at 50 - 55 :biggrin2:

I am lucky enough to volunteer at the MBA and have talked with Bret quite a few times, and I even got to go behind the scenes twice with a "private tour" of sorts! Seeing how they raise the animals is so amazing! And the nautilus have been laying eggs!

Bigfin Reef Squid Dazzle to Attract Mates
Published on Jun 25, 2015
Trying to attract a mate? It's all about flashing the right colors and patterns for these bigfin reef squid, who are pairing up and laying eggs on exhibit right now! Each female lays 1,000-6,000 eggs, which take approximately three weeks to incubate. Learn more:http://mbayaq.co/1oLgXK8

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back