Tentacles - Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBARI) Exhibit

Hey D,

How are you? I just wanted to keep you up to date on some more video releases/publications. The first link is to a bit I did for ScienceFriday that aired last week and the radio portion this morning. I hope you like it! Caring for Cuttlefish - Science Friday

The second link is to a book that I co-authored. It was just published in Advances in Marine Biology two weeks ago. I was the primary author on three sections in the "cephalopod culture" portion of the book. There was many scientists and researchers contribution on this project and the final product is quite extensive. I forgot where to add publications/see other TONMO member publications. Can you remind me where that section is and/or maybe add this pub to my account? Thanks so much for your continued support! You can erase this message after you've read it. Thanks so much.
Advances in Cephalopod Science: Biology, Ecology, Cultivation and Fisheries, Volume 67 - 1st Edition

bg

@Bret Grasse MBA , I saw the Science Friday 4 video collection on Friday and posted your piece to your publications (and shared the full set on Facebook). I added the new book (the cost is over my meager budget for books I'm afraid) to your list here (it is in the same forum, Octopuses Den, as this one and is a highlighted in yellow at the top of the forum should you want to see/find it but posting here or in a message to me works well enough. Congradulations on the publication!

Just in time for #CephalopodWeek, we have a new visitor from the deep: the cock-eyed squid! True to its name, this squid has two differently-sized eyes, one much larger than the other. Thanks to our partners at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), you can be one of the first people in the world to get eye-to-eye with this incredible animal! Learn more: Monterey Bay Aquarium (Photo: Steven Haddock/MBARI)
mba_cock-eyed squid.jpg

@GPO87 Did ya see it? Did ya see it?

Nothing common about this cuttlefish

Published on Jul 18, 2014
The common cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis) is anything but! It can change skin color and pattern almost instantly. It uses its skin to communicate—flashing stripes and patches of color convey threats or courtship messages. We've raised generations of them at the Aquarium!

Stumpy Cuttlefish on Exhibit!

Stumpy cuttlefish (Sepia bandensis) is a squat species that forages along the seafloor. It may be small, but it’s a mighty hunter. It hunkers down among rocks, coral, sand and algae, blending with its environment, then ambushes prey. Its native range is from Malaysia to the Philippines.

Japetella Octopus On Exhibit

The Japetella octopus (Japetella sp.) is a beautiful animal that lives in the midwater realm, hundreds of feet below the surface but well above the sea floor. It has chromatophores that enable it to go from see-through with spots to almost a solid orange color. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute's remotely operated vehicles have observed them on video in Monterey Bay and—even more often—on expeditions to the Gulf of California. Like many cephalopods, the midwater octopus can be fragile and short-lived, so we can't say when it will on exhibit next!

Visitor from the Deep: the Cock-Eyed Squid

True to its name, this squid has two different-sized eyes, one much larger than the other. Scientists think the larger eye detects faint light that filters down from above, and the smaller one spots bioluminescence generated in the deep. They're collected with the help of our partners at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. Like many cephalopods, the cock-eyed squid can be fragile and short-lived, so we can't say when it will on exhibit next!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back