• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How much flow is too much for an octopus?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm not sure if this is dependent on species or not, but have seen it noted many times that Octopuses prefer a low flow.

At the moment I have a relatively low powered return pump, which I want to increase to have more movement through the sump. I'm at about 164gph now after head loss and as my tank is 55 gallon, I should be at least at 250.

I also have two powerheads, both Koralia, one 850gph and one 1150gph. These will not be on during the night and will be on 30 second intervals during the day.

Will this setup be OK for an octopus? I want to make sure I don't have too much flow as I want to create the best environment possible.

Thank you.

For my small Babies and when Wink was full grown I could not have any power heads going because it bounces them around the tank. (not to mention they could get chopped up) The flow was too strong for them to grasp the glass or rock even. (Medium sized Koralia) I had a different power head in Wink's tank ONLY when I cleaned and maintained the RSM 130. I would use the Power head to stir the substrate up as my arms are quite short for the tall glass. (I'm about 5')

Once they get much larger then the Mercatoris specie and tiny baby Briareus sizes I have, then I would imagine they might get stronger as they get larger. I would absolutely cover them with a mesh net bag, you can buy from most LFS or even online. DWhatley can back me up on this. But it does cut down the flow if not cleaned on an everyday basis. The one I have in the RSM now still has the mesh bag on it, but I have to clean it everyday or it builds a nasty slime not to mention debris that clings to it. Zip ties are great for covering the power heads.They are cheap at Lowes or any home improvement place. Zip tie it on tight enough the Octo can't get inside, and clean it off in hot water every day or so, and place back in. if it gets super nasty I just cut off the bag, really scrub the net and bag with a toothbrush and hot water, and put the bag back on.)

Thanks QueenB

My plan at the moment is to gradually experiment with having a stronger return pump, and to have the powerheads on timers during the day, and not active when the octo would be out and about. Will have them secured with mesh bags and zip ties for sure.

I have one powerhead at 1150 gph and another at 850 gph which I will be running on intervals during the day, which hopefully won't be too strong.

You can add (on the output side) a control valve on most pumps. This would let you use the higher gph pump at a lower flow if it proves necessary (keep in mind that you will lose some of the rating with the rise and distance). Additionally, you can defuse the incoming water so that it is not a strong stream (like the difference in using a spay nozzle on a hose). We have used pvc pipe (you can find it in black) with holes drilled along the length to defuse the return. You do need to be sure you have a small high hole to prevent reverse siphon when the power is off. One of our hatchlings (Tatanka ) used the pipe as a den for several months.

denningInflowPipe_02croped.png denningInflowPipe_03.JPG

IME, Adults will often seek out the higher flow (they are often reported sitting next the return). I have wondered if this aids breathing, especially during senescence. I find the Koralia style pumps provide a nicely defused flow and have pictures of several using it to aid sucker shed

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back