• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octos keep dying

hi i have a 55 gal. i put a briareus in the fully cycled tank. he was doing great for about 1 month and stoped eating. then he started to breath very heavy and died 3 weeks later.last month i got a macropus. he ate like a pig and looked very healthy. last night i put food in his tank and he would not eat first time ever. this morning he was on the glass breathing heavy just like the briarius.all water test are fine. nitrate was high 2 weeks ago but they are about 20 ppm now. i bought the tank used. i rinsed it out very good when i bought it. is it possible there is traces of copper in the tank even though i rinsed it out? i just checked on him and he moved to a different spot but still on the glass w/bad cork screwed arms. i put alot of carbon in 10 mins. ago. does anyone know why i lost 2 octos. is it the tank? i have a diff. 55 gal. w/a bimac. i have had him for over a year. and as far as the one that lookes like he is not going to make it i did get as much info. i could on him . he is a baby macropus.any help please. thankyou jimmy.

Where did you get the aquarium from? If you can track down the previous owner, then you should ask what meds they used in it. If they had used copper before, then most likely yes.

Also, how long was the tank set up before you added the briareus? Just asking because a cycled tank and a "mature" tank are two totally different things.

BTW, welcome to TONMO! How long have you been keeping cephs?

:welcome: to TONMO!

From what Jean said the other day, it sounds like copper is more likely to cause rapid descent into convulsions and death. Since this is more drawn out, looking at water quality seems appropriate. 20ppm shouldn't be fatal, but doing more water changes seems like the best course of action, assuming you can't move the octo to another tank. Where did you get a macropus? Is it the one ReefScavengers had recently? I believe there are copper tests available, too.

copper

yes he is from reefscavengers. i did test for copper it shows none. but like i said i did rinse it out good but for 2 octos to die and look the same way when starting to die i just dont know what i could be. unless even though copper does not show on test maybe even minute traces of copper is doing this? could that be?

copper

i forgot to mention it was a turtle tank before i got it. it has been running for about 1 year now. and it was running for 6 months before the briarius.

copper

they were red ear sliders he had 2 of them. but i was thinking i dont think you would use copper for turtles? but i just realized i got a tide pool wet-dry used from a pet shop they probobly used copper at one time. but rinsing it out would not get the copper out? i thought it would. should i put him in a large container and put him in the bimac tank slowly?

Rinsing is not going to remove the copper because copper is a small positively charged ion that can work its way into what we call "silicon". The sealant is actually a silicone. Silicones are chains of silicon atoms, organic and inorganic compounds that are cross-linked together. The small copper ions can form non-covalent bonds with polar function groups of the silicone polymers and stay inside the tank sealant until it is energetically favorable to break that bond and move out of the sealant, such as when there are negatively charged ions or molecules available to bond with.

This is why i strip and re-seal EVERY used tank that is given to me.... even if the previous owner swears that they never used copper, id rather not take my chances and have it leach at some point into the water..... not to mention the chance of a leak...

can the copper be in the silicone and not show on a test kit? and i have a tidepool used. i know they used copper but scrobed it. is it still in the plastic of the wet dry?and what if i just put the silicon over the original silicon will that work?

Plastic is also a polymer and is porous, as in it has little holes that things like copper ions can sit inside of. Even if you soaked the plastic in a solution that could strip the copper ions out of the plastic (which would probably destroy the plastic or taint it with a different compound) you could never guarantee that you got all of the ions out.

The reason a copper test might give a negative result when there is copper in the sealant is that the test only detects copper present in the water sample.

Resealing with more silicone would probably be a waste of time and money as the copper ions would be able to work through the new silicone just as easily as the old. It may just take longer. The best way to think about it is that polymers are very slow moving liquids, like glass, and anything that can get in to them can get back out.

copper

if there is minute traces of copper . enough to kill a octo why is the calupra growing just fine? by the way he is dead. im very upset he was my favorite one.but just talking to you it makes me feel a little better. at least he was not someones dinner.can anyone answer this question? thankyou so much jimmy

We don't know that copper was the problem in this instance, just that is a problem that ceph owners should be aware of in relation to used tanks. The other thing to think about is that the tank had previously been used for aquatic turtles, which have been found to be carriers of salmonella. I just googled octopus and salmonella and came up with a journal article in Letters in Applied Microbiology this year about salmonella detection assays in cephlopods and shellfish. So that is another possibility.

As for caulerpa, it is possible that some strains of it may have copper resistance. The only thing we do know is that if two octos have died in the same tank both in under a month, that tank should probably not be used in future for octos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back