• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

biocube 29

darrendon

Hatchling
Registered
I've just started cycling a 29 gallon biocube which I want to eventually use for an octopus. I have about 1 1/2 inches of live sand, about 30 pounds of live rock in the tank, and about another 8 pounds live rock rubble in the filter (I used the live rock rubble to replace the bioballs the cube came with). I also added an extra bag of activated carbon.

Two questions so far.

First, the filter area in the back of the tank is very accessible from the tank -- there's about one inch of open space. Any ideas on how I can close off that avenue of escape?

Second, I don't see where there is room to add a protein skimmer. Any thoughts on whether one is necessary and, if it is, any thoughts on where I can add one to an Oceanic Bio Cube 29?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

do a search on reef central for a biocube protiene skimmer, there is a company that makes on that goes in the bioball chamber and it is apparently pretty good. you are going to be limited to a dewarf octo btw

If you get a dwarf octopus in a 29 gallon with good filtration, I doubt you would need a skimmer. However, as someone who has a dwarf octo, I'd say go with dwarf cuttles instead. Unless you are usually up all night. That is the only time you will see it.

i run a biocube 29 as a reef tank, and i can say one thing for sure.
I know octos need good flow, but the return pump that comes stock is WAY too much for ANYTHING [had heaps of trouble with fish and corals alike in it due to extensive flow], and you'll find your octo won't want to be very active because he'll be blown all about the tank. I highly recommend replacing it with something half the strength.
As for sealing areas off, velcro or astroturf should do the trick wherever you need. The adhesive won't stick, but I've found Gorilla glue is AMAZING if you have the patience to let it dry for 4-5 hours....I've used it in my 55 gallon octo tank, and even with water splashing everywhere, what you glue will stay in place. Good luck!

Interesting to hear feedback on the Biocube - its made by Oceanic Systems and their tanks are usually very good.

I looked at the 29 gallon Biocube at my LFS and they're quite attractive and self-contained. They seem to be a step up from cubes made by other manufacturers.

Will (i need cuttle) has mentioned a protein skimmer now made for the biocube - supposed to work well.

Do you have any other comments - do you think it would be good for corals?

Nancy

Nancy;83516 said:
Interesting to hear feedback on the Biocube - its made by Oceanic Systems and their tanks are usually very good.

I looked at the 29 gallon Biocube at my LFS and they're quite attractive and self-contained. They seem to be a step up from cubes made by other manufacturers.

Will (i need cuttle) has mentioned a protein skimmer now made for the biocube - supposed to work well.

Do you have any other comments - do you think it would be good for corals?

Nancy

For corals, it's a great system. The lighting is more than sufficient for almost anything you could want. The trio of lighting is definitely very appealing, particularly if you're interested in corals. Thus far, the only thing that's not doing as well as I'd like are mushrooms because the lighting is very strong. One of the guys at my lfs has the same setup as me and said that he replaced the white bulb with a 50/50 and said that it works better for all corals.
The biocube as a whole is a great "plug and play" type system and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get started quickly in corals/reef setups. The filtration sytem is sufficient, although I'm noticing the carbon filter next to the overflow can clog easily if you're not maintaining the tank regularly. For an advanced aquarist, you'll definitely find that there are some things that you'd like to change [we are all so particular...hehe], and the Biocube is definitely easy to customize to your liking. Most things are removable and changeable, which makes it a great base system if you're looking to set it up for something specific. They clearly thought out the schematic of the tank setup and it works pretty efficiently. :smile:

Thanks for all the comments. I'd like to try to find that protein skimmer you recommended that is made to fit in a bio cube. What is "reef central?" or does anyone know who makes that skimmer or what it's called?

Reef Central is a big site for reef keepers:
www.reefcentral.com

You may need to search in the morning or at odd times, because members have priority in the search and sometimes it's almost impossible to get to the search screen.

Also, you could pm i need cuttle for further information.

Nancy

There is an alternate for about $23 (look up Fission nano-skimmer or goto: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/fission_skimmer.htm ) but it may be the same as no skimmer at all. We haven't fully tried the one we bought (if you tell my husband I said he bought it because he thought it was cute he may disown me). It was temporarily set up in our nano cube while we were keeping our live sand alive for the octo tank but we really did not have anything to produce much protein in the aquarium. The collection filter did get a little dirty and it did produce bubbles during the two weeks it was running. We will be resetting up the nano this year as a Xenia and pipefish tank and will have a better idea on if it works in a few months but maybe someone else has actually put it to a test.

biocube 29 skimmer upgrade

So I just bought this biocube29 and I was some what skeptical due to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to run a large skimmer on it.. I heard the smaller skimmers that fit the tank don't work well so I figured I'd customize my cube... these pictures are after removing the bioballs and filter to make room for the skimmer & pump. I used a hack saw to cut the rear cover to fit the skimmer.. this is a AquaC skimmer.. I hope this helps all of you having trouble putting a skimmer on these tanks..

the tank is a little foggy from all the new sand but its clearing up quickly..

Attachments

• conv_291784.jpg
    conv_291784.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 99
  • conv_291785.jpg
    conv_291785.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 107
  • conv_291786.jpg
    conv_291786.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_291787.jpg
    conv_291787.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 108
Your DIY with the skimmer already looks like it came that way, great job on the customization. If you want a slightly more finished look, fine grit sand paper and half an hour will make the edges look almost factory made.

I wish our nano cube had a back opening on the hood!

I have that skimmer on my small tank - it works quite well and is very quiet, at least after the break-in period!

If you plan to keep a small octopus in that tank, be sure to seal off any opening - you could use duct tape or something more permanent.

Nancy

i'm planning on mostly keeping soft corals and maybe a few fish.. my girlfriend is obsessed with 'finding nemo' so maybe a pair of clownfish.. haha

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back