O. tetricus the Gloomy Octopus from Sydney

Im starting an Octopus Journel

Meet Pilot ... the new family pet, discoverd 3.1.12 :mrgreen:

From Nigel's introdution:
Hi, Have had salt water tanks on and off for a few years and had an Occy for a short time when I was a teenager. My kids are teenagers now and have custom built a tank for them. My daughter caught a O. tetricus (Gloomy Octopus, common to the Australian east coast) which has been in the tank for 2 days. Will try to feed him, her, it tonight (have been trying to look). Each leg is just over 30cm or 1 foot, giving the the Occy of over a 2 foot span. Mature they can grow up to 2 meters or 6 feet plus.

Attachments

• conv_304605.jpg
    conv_304605.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 446
Ok, so after eating for the first time, where I scoffed a large Prawn 3inches and 2 black mussels, I sat inside my chopper for 3 days and didn’t come out. Nor was i interested in eating. However seems that my blotted stomach is now empty again as I’m sitting on top of my Helicopter

Attachments

• conv_298967.jpg
    conv_298967.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 210
The first may have been nervous eating because of the changes of life style. I always try to feed before I release them to a tank to take advantage of this because they often don't accept food for a couple of days after being introduced.

We find that different animals have different eating habits. Some only really want to eat every couple of days but consume several items (most common with the colder water animals). Others will eat close to daily but smaller proportions. This does not seem species specific but more likely what they find in the wild. It will take a couple of weeks for Pilot to acclimate and then you should see a pattern. Do try to offer food at the same time each day. This helps them to know the food slaves and you will likely see Pilot anticipating your delivery.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back