Poe Poe - O. hummelincki

My octopus from Saltwaterfish.com arrived at 9:20 this morning. :biggrin2:
It looked terrific. I began acclimating as usual. Immediately this little one wanted out. I had a heck of a time keeping it from crawling out. It sat with it's eyes out of the water looking at me. An hour into it, it must have gotten startled and inked. It was an OMG moment. The water in the was so fouled I knew it would definately suffocate if I didn't get it out fast. I dumped all the water and released it. It was not until I saw it in the tank that I noticed it's false eyespots. It walked on the glass then retreated into the rockwork. I am hoping it will be alright, darn it, it seemed so promising. I am keeping my :fingerscrossed: about all I can do at this point. I will upload my photos and videos now...to be continued

Here are some photos...

first photo~
DSCN1769.jpg

open bag~
DSCN1771.jpg

acclimating~
see what I had to deal with
DSCN1778.jpg

DSCN1780.jpg

acclimation video~

more to come :smile:

Cool!!! :welcome: I had one ink really badly in the bucket while acclimating, I think it was Waldo.

I see you have an airstone in the acclimation bucket. Thales recently advised us not to do that because it causes the pH to spike a lot.

CaptFish;169710 said:
Cool!!! :welcome: I had one ink really badly in the bucket while acclimating, I think it was Waldo.

I see you have an airstone in the acclimation bucket. Thales recently advised us not to do that because it causes the pH to spike a lot.

No Dave, no one passed that on to me. Hmm...well whats done is done. :hmm:

Sabrina, not really sure on required tank size but they are a smaller species with good husbandry maybe, not sure if they require more room to move about than a 40 could provide. How was that for a non-answer answer? I'd defiantly try one in my 50 which is not much larger.

Airstone is 1" long.
octopus ml is appx 1"- 1 1/4"
arm length is appx 4"-5" a couple are shorter from previous damage? One freshly severed at webbing, no new growth.

sk252006;169711 said:
Either thats one big airstone or thats one tiny octopus... I am sooo :mrgreen: right now I cant stand it.... Please cant some body tell me its ok to keep one of these guys in a 40 gallon reef :biggrin2:

It all depends on the dimensions of the aquarium. If it was a 40 long or "breeder" than I think it might be do'able. My O. Hummelincki is pretty much full grown with an arm length of 9" - 11" give or take (these are rough measurements) and a mantle lenght of 3". She can span arm tip to arm tip roughly 24" and does A LOT of crawling around during the day. She is currently in a 55 gallon(roughly 48" long x 12" deep x 19" tall with about a 4" - 6" sand bed depending on where you measure it in the tank) and seems to be doing ok. I wish I could still keep her in my 250 gallon aquarium(96" long x 24" deep x 25" tall) but we have to down size at the moment.

Lmecher;169720 said:
No Dave, no one passed that on to me. Hmm...well whats done is done. :hmm:

Sabrina, not really sure on required tank size but they are a smaller species with good husbandry maybe, not sure if they require more room to move about than a 40 could provide. How was that for a non-answer answer? I'd defiantly try one in my 50 which is not much larger.

Airstone is 1" long.
octopus ml is appx 1"- 1 1/4"
arm length is appx 4"-5" a couple are shorter from previous damage? One freshly severed at webbing, no new growth.

So yay nice and small! And it was the best non answer one could hope for lol.

skywindsurfer;169724 said:
It all depends on the dimensions of the aquarium. If it was a 40 long or "breeder" than I think it might be do'able. My O. Hummelincki is pretty much full grown with an arm length of 9" - 11" give or take (these are rough measurements) and a mantle lenght of 3". She can span arm tip to arm tip roughly 24" and does A LOT of crawling around during the day. She is currently in a 55 gallon(roughly 48" long x 12" deep x 19" tall with about a 4" - 6" sand bed depending on where you measure it in the tank) and seems to be doing ok. I wish I could still keep her in my 250 gallon aquarium(96" long x 24" deep x 25" tall) but we have to down size at the moment.

I cant say its a breeder or long tank... wish I could...its a corner bowfront tank so thats a no... It would have almost no room to move around except in a circle (not good for mental health) but I wish... Oh how I wish. I would have to get another dwarf or a few dwarfs in order to keep an octopus right now... not to mention I have the cuttles to think about.

I just got home, had to make a trip to WS to pick up a tractor. While I was gone (killed me to leave) my son saw the little one out. He tried to take a video, didn't know how to use my camera. He took a photo, I will post it but I think it may qualify for the find the octopus thread, I was not able to find it on the 2" screen.

No, I followed the video to the photobucket website and the next video was of an octo being released via a bowl. It looked smaller than this guy but size is really hard to tell in pictures without reference. However, NOW when I click on the video and go next, I see an obvious hummelincki about the size I expected :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back