Cuda's Cuttles

Cuda62

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Good Day All.

Cuda's cuttles arrived at the end of May of this year, already about 1 inch long. One was noticeably larger than the other.
They were placed in an established 45g long, plate glass tank that I got while dinosaurs still roamed the earth.
Water Conditions are 78-80F. 1.024-1.025. As near zero nitrates and phosphate, as possible. Magnesium=1300-1500. Water tests=Twice a week 33% water change, twice a month.
Feeding started with small FW&SW shrimp, moved to larger shrimp, and now feed on thawed silversides, either off of a bamboo skewer, or the sandy bottom.
They are now about 2+ inches, and doing well.
I will be posting pictures, as well as video, but you can see some video that I have already posted on YouTube under the handle, LancelotLinkSC.
Here is a link to the latest:
I've got hours of raw video that still needs to be edited, and will share as I get to it.
The tank that they are in is the one from the 70's, so please forgive the scratches. Not only are they distracting, but they plays havoc with the camera's autofocus. :banghead:

As these are my first cuttles, I will hope to get the answers to some questions, and if I am able, will be glad to help those with questions for me.

Here are a couple of pics, from about the first week of August, of one of my guys moving across the sandy bottom in full light.

Attachments

• conv_303693.jpg
    conv_303693.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 69
  • conv_303694.jpg
    conv_303694.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 76
bluespotocto;142792 said:
Great pic. What our the cuttles names? Also maybe a full pic of the tank?

Any way :welcome: little cuttles.
Thanks!
Well, in the hope of willing it to reality, in the hope of having a male and female, and the way they take what they want, I chose Bonnie and Clyde. But, as I don't have the experience to tell one from another(male/female), they are now referred to as, "Male, I Think", and "Female, I Think". :bugout:

My first question:

Is it possible for any of you more experienced cuttle keepers to determine sex(male and female) from the following observations?

2 cuttles arrive from the same egg batch.
One is noticeably larger than the other, not only in length, but overall body size.

One's mantle/body is symmetrical, while the other appears to be back/bottom heavy.

And when they do their interaction, face to face thing, and they separate, one takes on a dark brown, almost black, color with white spots, while the other mottles itself in white and light brown.

And after separation, and at other times, the one that turns the dark brown, seems to try and corral, or wrangle, the smaller one into an area that it chooses.

Anything I should be looking for in their physical being, or behavior? Are there any pictures or videos that I could post that would help?

I've added these images, as they were the first that I could find that illustrated the color changes that I tried to describe. They were taken one right after the other, so the lighter cuttle made the color change that quickly.

Attachments

• conv_294634.jpg
    conv_294634.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 91
  • conv_294635.jpg
    conv_294635.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 97
Once they start mating, you should expect eggs in a month or so. :biggrin2:

Oh - I could be wrong on the sexing, but very much doubt it.

I have to agree with Thales on the male/female identification. Mine started laying eggs at about 5-6 months.

When they interact face-to-face are their tentacles intertwined? If so, I would start looking for eggs in the darkest, hardest to reach part of your aquarium...

cuttlegirl;142806 said:
I have to agree with Thales on the male/female identification. Mine started laying eggs at about 5-6 months.

When they interact face-to-face are their tentacles intertwined?
Thank You. And Thank You for the Welcome in the other thread.

Yes. They have been doing this face to face dance for a while now. The, now identified as Male, takes 2 of his tentacles, and places them over the top of her head. They stay together for few seconds, to a few minutes. They separate, both look like they are spitting, and that is when the male most seems to want to corral the female into the cave.
cuttlegirl;142806 said:
If so, I would start looking for eggs in the darkest, hardest to reach part of your aquarium...
Oh no...
headinhand.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back