Cephalopod Care

Articles about keeping octopus and cuttlefish in home aquarium.
  • Featured
Nancy
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
Things to Think About Before You Get An Octopus as a Pet by Nancy King Nancy is a member of the TONMO.com staff -- you can discuss cephalopods with her and fellow TONMOers in our Octopus Care forum. Keeping an octopus is fun and interesting, but an octopus is not the easiest pet to own. You...
Original publish date
Mar 1, 2004
Colin
8 min read
Views
by Colin Dunlop Opening notes... Since this article was originally written it has been necessary to rewrite parts of it. There have been significant advances within the hobby and cephalopod husbandry techniques are still evolving. It is certain to require more updates in the future but that's...
Original publish date
Mar 4, 2004
Colin
3 min read
Views
By Colin Dunlop - 2003 Discuss this article in our forums: Cuttlefish Care When is a fish not a fish? Em... okay, er... em... It's not a funny joke, actually it's just a fact... cuttlefish are not fish! Cuttlefish are much more closely related to garden slugs and snails than they are to fish...
Original publish date
Jun 18, 2003
Nancy
3 min read
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Comments
Reviews
By Nancy King "Ollie", about 9 months old -- Photo by Nancy King Description O. bimaculoidesis a medium sized octopus, reaching a mantle size of 7 inches (17.5cm) and arms to 23 inches (58cm). Some remain smaller than this. The bimac is not usually heavily textured and has several common...
Original publish date
Mar 1, 2003
Colin
9 min read
Views
By Colin Dunlop November 2003 (also appears in the February/March 2004, Issue - 16 of Marine World Magazine) ”The most commonly seen cephalopods for sale in the UK are octopuses, cuttlefish and nautiluses. Their husbandry is not too far removed from caring for any other marine species but...
Original publish date
Nov 1, 2003
Nancy
3 min read
Views
Comments
By Nancy King Nancy is a member of the TONMO.com staff -- you can discuss octopuses and more with her in our Cephalopod Care forums. What is an octopus? It's a sea creature found in all oceans of the world, even in the cold waters of the Arctic and Antarctica. It lives in deep or shallow...
Original publish date
May 17, 2003
Thales
27 min read
Views
By Richard Ross (Thales), 2005 Image 1: Adult Sepia bandensis 'begging' for food. Head/body length about 4 inches. Photo, Richard Ross Originally published in AdavancedAquarist.com, republished here with permission from the author. Why Cuttlesfish? I may be biased. Ok, I am completely...
Original publish date
Jul 15, 2005
Colin
10 min read
Views
Reaction score
by Colin Dunlop Overview One of the most common emails that I receive starts along the lines of, "I have seen an octopus for sale in a pet shop. What do I need to keep it properly?" Here is a list of some information and equipment needed for an octopus aquarium with links to sites where the...
Original publish date
Sep 2, 2002
tonmo
8 min read
Views
Reaction score
By Jason Scott, first published at Practical Fishkeeping (PFK) Website -- Authorized for use at TONMO.com in 2003. Over the past twenty-five years or so I have kept a wide range of strange and unusual marine species, everything from Sharks and Rays to Frogfish and Flying Gurnards. In this...
Original publish date
Mar 1, 2003
lawfish
29 min read
Views
Do-it-yourself skimmer for your cephalopod tank By: Lawfish - June 8, 2003 I would like to make several comments before I begin this article. First, I do not intend to represent that I invented this type of skimmer. I based the design upon a Skimmer which was built by a member of Reef Central...
Original publish date
Jun 8, 2003
Thales
13 min read
Views
Reaction score
By Richard Ross (Thales) - first appeared in Tropical Fish Hobbyist (TFH) Magazine in 2009. He welcomes discussion of this article in our Cuttlefish Care forum. The dwarf cuttlefish, Sepia bandensis, is one of the coolest animals on the planet. It glides through the water like a little UFO...
Original publish date
Sep 15, 2009
Thales
5 min read
Views
Best practices in cephalopod transport By Richard Ross (Thales) Several people have recently asked how I ship cephs, so I thought I would write up what I do and stick it on the blog for posterity. I am hoping to ship some cephs in the next few weeks and if I do, I will try to update this...
Original publish date
Aug 6, 2011
  • Featured
corw314
6 min read
Views
Comments
By Carol Sauer (corw314) Editor's Note: Carol created this article for Jersey Pets Magazine (Editor: Lisa A. Kelley). Lisa's Website can be visited at www.jerseypetsmagazine.com. The article is slated to be published in their Jan/Feb issue. Thanks to Jersey Pets Magazine for spreading the good...
Original publish date
Mar 15, 2003
  • Featured
CaptFish
4 min read
Views
I'm writing this article to document the result of adding an octopus to an established fish tank. On April 15, 2009 I caught a batch of six newly hatched O. briareus from one of my commercial stone crab traps in Biscayne Bay Miami, Florida. All six juveniles were placed into a fully-stocked 125...
Original publish date
Mar 7, 2013
Colin
1 min read
Views
by Colin Dunlop - 2004 Ever since I became interested in keeping cephalopods as pets I have tried very hard to help out other people as much as I can. This has included answering questions on message boards and posting pictures wherever possible. My original site, soon to be discontinued, was...
Original publish date
Mar 9, 2004
Thales
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
Richard Ross (Thales) welcomes discussion on this article in the Exotics and Rare Species forum. Octopus chierchiae is a small rarely seen octopus from Panama/Nicaragua. I was able to obtain 3 animals, 2 male and 1 female, and was able to mate them and have had a successful brood and hatching...
Original publish date
Jan 2, 2009
Nancy
6 min read
Views
by Nancy King, January 2006 Three Years of Ceph Care Looking back on the last three years of the Ceph Care Forum, I can see we've learned a lot and made progress in keeping our cephs well. I've had in mind for some time to write about how Ceph Care has evolved over these years and will make...
Original publish date
Jan 15, 2006
tonmo
2 min read
Views
Our house robot, @octobot (which is enabled by Chat-GPT4), has offered the following summary of @ACC4's journal for her pet bimac, Raccoon. The original journal and thread can be found here. For those unacquainted with the nuanced world of octopus keeping, let's introduce Raccoon. She's a...
Contributing Authors
@octobot, @ACC4

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back